In Oregon, there are 2 categories of statutory exemption:
- RELIGIOUS EXEMPTION – Non-profit religious schools that offer only degrees in theology or religious occupations.
- OTHER EXEMPT INDEPENDENT COLLEGES – Non-profit regionally-accredited schools that have operated successfully under ODA authorization for more than 5 consecutive years.
Quick Facts about exempt status in Oregon…
- Exemption is determined by the ODA Administrator and communicated to the school when approved.
- Approval or denial of exempt status is based on review, and verification of certain criteria.
- Exempt status usually remains in effect as long as the school continues to meet the criteria.
- Exempt status may be denied or revoked as necessary.
- Some exempt schools are required to submit annual reports to ODA.